Something about fall just calls for baking. This season get festive and stay healthy thanks to one ingredient: Flora’s Turmeric & Cinnamon Apple Cider Vinegar.
Taken as a shot to aid digestion* or mixed into an apple tart, this fall-flavored wellness shot does it all.
Vinegar in a dessert? Yeah, we know it sounds a bit weird. But in the same way that a pinch of salt can amplify the sweetness of a dessert, adding a bit of cinnamon and turmeric-infused vinegar gives your apple tart another dimension. All the wintery flavors of mulled wine without the booze. Plus, it helps infuse the flavors of fall spices without having to stock up your spice cabinet.
This delightful fall recipe is super simple, using store-bought puff pastry and just six ingredients. Time to get baking!
- Preheat oven to temperature specified by frozen pastry box (usually 400° F/205° C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut puff pastry into two long strips, each approximately 3.5 x 12 inches / 9 x 30 centimeters.
- Peel and core apples. Halve and slice into thin pieces.
- Place apple slices in a bowl with apple cider vinegar and 1 Tbsp. sugar. Leave to marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Transfer apple mixture to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce until apples just begin to soften. Remove apples from liquid and let cool to handle.
- Arrange apples on the pastry, overlapping each other slightly, leaving a bit of a border around the sides. For each tart, sprinkle half of the remaining sugar and sprinkle with candied ginger. Brush with half of the melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve warm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream (optional).
Hillary Eaton is a Los Angeles based food and travel writer whose work has appeared in such publications as VICE, Food & Wine, Refinery 29, Complex and Los Angeles Times.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease.