Plant-Based Sushi Rolls
Recipe and image courtesy of Lindsay Young, @eatyoungnutrition
- 3 cups grated cauliflower (about 1 small cauliflower)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp Udo’s Oil
- 1 cup cucumber, spiralized
- 1 cup raw golden beet, spiralized
- 1 peach, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- Handful basil leaves
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed
- 4 raw nori sheets
- 1/2 an avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp cashews, soaked for 2+ hours
- Palm full cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tsp wasabi
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Udo’s Oil
- Enough water to run the blender, altering for consistency
- Begin by making the sauce: combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 2 minutes. Check on consistency, adjust water if the mixture is too thick. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add garlic and grated cauliflower. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and dry. Add vinegar and stir again. Remove from heat, add tapioca flour and Udo’s Oil (this will make the rice “sticky”) and scoop onto a large plate with a piece of paper towel laid on it. Cover the cauliflower rice with another piece of paper towel and pat to absorb excess moisture. Set aside.
- Heat tofu over a grill or a skillet until each side browns. Set all ingredients for the rolls around your cooking space and lay a sheet of nori down on a dry surface.
- Using a spoon, scoop cauliflower rice over 3/4 of the nori sheet, leaving about 1 inch at the far end of the nori bare. Arrange the rest of your veggies and tofu parallel to that bare space, about 1 inch from the close end of the nori sheet (see photo).
- Spoon some of the sauce alongside the arranged veggies.
- Roll the nori carefully until you reach the bare part of the nori. Wet hands and pat the nori so it binds to the piece it touches. Carefully cut into 6 pieces of sushi using a sharp knife.
- Spoon more sauce over top of the sushi and enjoy!