Recipe and image courtesy of Lindsay Young, @eatyoungnutrition
Makes: 2 servings
1/4 of a large seedless watermelon
1/2 an English cucumber
Juice of 1 lime
4-5 fresh mint leaves
1/3 bottle of sparking rosé
2 tsp Flora’s alcohol-free Swedish Bitters*
Lime zest, for garnish
- Cut watermelon into cubes and freeze it for at least a 2 hours.* Chill the sparkling rosé.
- Peel and cut cucumber into large chunks. The peel can act as a garnish for the drinks, but it’s also a yummy and nutritious snack.
- In a high-speed blender, add the frozen watermelon, cucumber, lime juice, mint leaves, sparkling rosé, and Swedish Bitters*. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into cocktail glasses and garnish with mint, cucumber peel, and/or lime zest.
- Flora offers two versions of their Swedish Bitters: one that contains alcohol, and one with simply water and citric acid. Alcohol is an excellent extractor of the important constituents of the herbs that play a role in digestion, which is why many herbal tinctures use alcohol. I prefer the taste of the alcohol-free version of their digestive bitters, though. Feel free to experiment with both!
- Freezing watermelon will give the final product a slushy-like consistency.