What an easy way to spice up your pesto recipe. I love swapping out basil for other herbs or greens and using beet crystals as a source of betalain — beets are great for the blood and capillaries. I’ve used this on pizza, over pasta, in salad dressings and on chicken. The color is striking and the flavor is savory and intense. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
- 2 cups mixed greens (I used 1 cup basil, 1 cup arugula)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Red Beet Crystals
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Add half of the greens and all other ingredients to a small food processor.
- Grind until the pesto is well incorporated. Add the rest of the greens as the pesto decreases in volume and grind again.
- Stop when well incorporated, but not entirely smooth. A little grittiness is always welcome with pesto.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, and transfer to a glass jar.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Lindsay Young @eatyoungnutrition is a nutritionist and lover of food from around the world. She’s passionate about making healthy, home cooked food accessible and approachable for everyone. She hosts workshops in her home town, Kelowna, sees clients and works as a recipe developer and food photographer.228>