This is a tasty, healthy, no-stress recipe to serve when people come over. The variety of tastes makes it a hit and will intrigue the palate to keep you coming back for more!
It is so low-stress, it is more a loose suggestion than a recipe: Combine ingredients with pleasing flavors in proportions that suit you, top with flax oil, and serve.
I recommend scooping it up with chunks of bread. Pick a loaf that is crusty on the outside and soft on the inside for a lovely texture contrast.
For the dip, use something salty (capers, cheese, olives), something sour (olives, capers, lemon juice), something with richness or oleogustus (olives, cheese, flax oil), and maybe some heat (raw garlic, red pepper flakes).
The whole thing will be loaded with umami from the cheese, garlic, and olives. Using fresh herbs such as rosemary, or even capers or lemon zest, offers a pleasing astringency for balance. If you want a hint of sweetness, too, add a drizzle of aged balsamic or roast the garlic beforehand.
If you prefer a rustic presentation, skip the mincing. Simply smash and peel the garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife, smash the drained olives and/or capers to flatten them, then put them on the plate with the other ingredients sprinkled and poured over the top.
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup (4 oz.) drained olives and/or capers
- Dried oregano and/or red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces feta and/or parmesan cheese
- Fresh herbs, such as thyme and/or rosemary
- ½ cup Flora Certified Organic Flax Oil
- Mince the first five ingredients, add them to a bowl, and add flax oil. Mix everything together, then serve in a bowl or on a rimmed plate with a side of good crusty bread for dipping. Replenish dip and bread as necessary.