Our body loves a full body detox!Have you ever started a cleanse and felt tired, foggy, or like you’re getting a cold? Those are symptoms that are frequently referred to as a “healing crisis”. What this usually means is that your liver has released more toxins than your detox pathways can handle and your body is a bit overwhelmed. The great news is you can do a full body detox without these annoying symptoms.
Full body detox – a how-to guide:
- Drink lots of water. All of our detox pathways need to be flushed, especially our cells and kidneys.
- Start your morning with a glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon. This is a simple but surprisingly effective way to support our body’s natural daily detox process. It supports the liver and digestive system.
- Eat lots of cruciferous veggies, like broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. This family of veggies contains lots of liver-friendly compounds like indole-3-carbinol. Enjoy 1 serving everyday.
- Exercise regularly to help your body move your lymph; the garbage disposal system in your body. It moves when you move.
- Sleep. Your body naturally detoxifies while you sleep, so try your best to get 7 – 9 hours of sleep every night.
Add beautiful detoxification herbs into your diet to give your detox process a little boost, like these ones found in Flor-Essence (US/CA):Slippery elm – supports all detoxification pathways and is a potent gut healer. Burdock root – a cleansing antioxidant that supports detoxification, proper digestive function, and even helps out the immune system! Red clover – a beautiful antioxidant that supports healthy cells and supports the kidneys to flush out extra toxins. Supporting a full body detox doesn’t need to be difficult or chock full of annoying symptoms. Therefore, just add a few detoxifying foods and herbs to your diet and your body will thank you!
Lisa Kilgour is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN), Founder of LisaKilgour.com, and a faculty member at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition.