Beautiful Skin From Within
If you’re using sunscreen and cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing on the regular, you may think you’re taking pretty good care of your skin. These are important steps, no argument there. But they’re external remedies, and as we all know, beauty is more than skin-deep. Healthy, glowing skin comes both from what you put ON the outside and what you put IN the inside.
How can you nurture your skin from within? It’s easy as 1-2-3.
Step 1: Hydrate
The first thing you need to do for happy skin is to stay well hydrated. Keep a water bottle nearby and eat foods with high water content. Think juicy fruits and veggies like cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, and watermelon (it’s right there in the name, isn’t it?). Another clue that a vegetable has a lot of water in it is if it shrinks a lot when you cook it, like mushrooms or most greens. Soups and smoothies are another tried-and-true way to hydrate.
Step 2: Eat Right
Your skin is hungry for certain nutrients like antioxidants, silica, and omega fatty acids. Where to get them?
- Most fruits and vegetables are high in skin-loving antioxidants, but so are nuts, green tea, and cocoa powder. Hooray — another reason to eat chocolate!
- Green beans, bananas, brown rice, leafy greens, and oats all have the mineral silica, which helps your body make collagen.
- Omega fatty acids are present in fatty fish, algae, nuts, seeds, and certain plant oils. Most people don’t get enough from diet alone, so supplementing is a skin-smart idea, especially if you don’t eat fish.
Step 3: Supplement
Omega-3s and -6s moisturize your skin from the inside out and make it stronger in two ways. Number one, they help your skin maintain its firm structure (rather than sagging). Number two, they support its barrier function (keeping water in and toxins out — exactly where you want them!). If you don’t get enough antioxidants, silica, and omegas through the diet — and many of us don’t — Flora’s got you covered with the following supplements.
- Made from unrefined flax, sesame, sunflower, and evening primrose oils, Udo’s Oil 3-6-9 Blend liquid is a 100% plant-based source of skin-loving omega fatty acids. Udo’s Oil is pressed in low light and without oxygen for maximum freshness, and of course it’s non-GMO, organic, vegan, and keto-friendly. We also offer Udo’s Oil 3-6-9 Blend capsules, DHA 3-6-9 Blend with algae, and High Lignan 3-6-9 Blend, so you can choose the omega blend that’s right for you. Never say we don’t give you choices!
- Florasil provides the skin-friendly mineral silica. Silica promotes the production of collagen, a protein that keeps your skin smooth and youthful-looking.* Florasil features natural, highly absorbable silica from the horsetail plant, rather than from sand or synthetic sources. (We thought you’d rather ingest plants than sand or chemicals.) It’s also gluten-free, non-GMO, and vegan. Bonus: Florasil is also great for hair and nails!
- If you have varicose veins, we have one more supplement just for you. Made from the antioxidant bioflavonoids diosmin and hesperidin from Spanish oranges, CircuVein has been shown to support vein health, so your legs look and feel their best.* It’s vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Now that you’ve nourished your skin from within, it’s time to try a fun new DIY face mask. Honey and oats or cacao and papaya, anyone?