Other symptoms of a high toxic load are:
- Chemical Sensitivities – does the laundry aisle in your grocery store bother you? Does heavy perfumes or scents give you a headache?
- Constipation – a sluggish liver can be a cause of constipation…and constipation can cause the liver to be sluggish. Oh, the double-edge sword.
- Skin issues – our skin is our largest organ and our liver may use it to remove toxins if the normal pathways (digestion and kidneys) are struggling.
- Lemon and water in the morning – a surprisingly effective liver supporter. It can stimulate the gallbladder and support the elimination of fat-soluble toxins.
- Cruciferous veggies (like broccoli, kale, and cauliflower) – provide the body with important nutrients like indole-3-carbinol for liver support.
- Flor-Essence (US/CA) – my favorite gentle liver supporter. An old Ojibwa formula, it supports all parts of our detoxification system, including the liver, digestion, and cellular support. Plus it’s really gentle.
Lisa Kilgour is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN), Founder of LisaKilgour.com, and a faculty member at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition.