Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Makes about 8 cups / 4 pints of ice cream
15-oz. / 445 mL pumpkin puree
2 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup Flora Hydro-Therm Pumpkin Oil
1 cup golden sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 tsp. each cinnamon & nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
- Make your ice cream custard base 1 or 2 days prior to serving your ice cream and at least 1 day before you plan to churn.
- Freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker*.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine pumpkin puree, milk and cream with a hand mixer. Once boiling, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, blend sugar and egg yolks for 3 – 4 minutes. Gradually blend in about half the hot pumpkin mixture until eggs are warmed through. Pour everything back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens, about 4 – 5 minutes, making sure it never bubbles. Coat the spoon with the mixture and swipe your finger through the mixture. If your finger leaves a clean line, it is ready, remove from heat.
- Blend the pumpkin oil and spices into the custard. Cool to room temp, then chill (covered) overnight in the refrigerator.
- Churn the chilled custard in your frozen ice cream maker until you reach soft-serve consistency, about 15 minutes*. Then transfer to a container with a lid and freeze at least 2 more hours before scooping and serving.
*If you do not have an ice cream maker, freeze a loaf pan or two (you’ll need a capacity of 8 cups). Instead of churning, simply fill the pan, cover it, and freeze until solid and scoopable, about 4 hours.