Jammy Breakfast Muffins
Recipe and image courtesy of Lindsay Young, @eatyoungnutrition
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy will work)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs*
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp Flora Elderberry Crystals
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tray with muffin liners or grease each hole with coconut oil.
- In a high-speed blender, add all ingredients except pumpkin seeds, almonds and frozen blueberries. Start with the wet ingredients, then add the dry. Blend for 30 seconds to one minute, or until smooth.
- Once batter is smooth, fold in pumpkin seeds, almonds and blueberries.
- Scoop out batter into the muffin tray and fill each about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top. Let the muffins cool while you prepare the elderberry jam filling.
- Add frozen berries to a saucepan over medium heat and stir a few minutes while the berries thaw. When thawed and warm, mash berries with a fork, then add all other ingredients, stir together and remove from heat. Let this sit for 5 minutes to let the chia seeds gelatinize.
- Using the thick end of a chopstick, poke holes in each muffin top and use the chopstick to create space in the middle of the muffin, where the filling will go.
- Add elderberry filling to a piping bag or a plastic bag* and cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the bag. Insert this open corner into each muffin and apply pressure to the bag until filling comes out the top of each muffin.
- To make this recipe vegan, use two flax eggs instead of eggs. Two flax eggs are prepared by combining 2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp water.
- Using a small plastic sandwich bag as a piping bag is easy to wash and reuse for next time.