Easy Beet Risotto
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 scoops Salus Red Beet Crystals
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Flora Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups Arborio rice (1 1/4 pounds)
- 6 oz. young pecorino cheese, freshly grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 oz. goat cheese, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds, plus more for garnish
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer. Add beet crystals to stock and stir until dissolved. In the meantime, in a medium pan, melt your butter into the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, constantly stirring, until softened and translucent.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the warm beet crystal stock to the rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the stock is nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until the rice is al dente and a thick sauce forms, about 22 minutes.
- Once risotto has reached proper thickness, stir in pecorino cheese and the 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds. Cook, stirring, until heated through; add a few tablespoons of water if the risotto is too thick.
- Spoon the risotto into bowls. Garnish with sliced beets, poppy seeds goat cheese (optional) and serve.