These simple sweet potato overnight oats
are naturally sweeter and creamier than plain oats and provide a serving of orange
veggies, so eat up!
The balanced recipe macros (approx. 360
Calories, 44.5 g carbs, 15.7 g fat, 14 g protein) make it a great option for
pre or post workout.
This also makes a great breakfast for the
whole family, including little munchkins.
These Sweet Potato Overnight Oats provide healthy fatty acids and protein for those picky carb kings and carb queens who prefer to survive on nothing but starch, to help fuel their development and power them through gym class.
Sweet Potato Overnight Oats
*Make your sweet potato purée in advance.
You can roast, boil or even microwave the sweet potato. You’ll only need about 1 small or 1/4 of a large sweet potato for this recipe, so you can cook 1-2 sweet potatoes and have some for dinner, saving the other portion for the oats recipe.
To create the puree, scrub and/or peel sweet potatoes.
*To roast, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 204 C. Cut the sweet potato in half length wise. Roast halves sliced side down for 20-25 mins on a pan covered with a silicon mat or parchment paper (for easy clean up).
*To use the microwave oven, pierce a medium scrubbed sweet potato a few times with a fork and microwave for 4-5 minutes until tender. A very large one can take 6+ minutes.
*To boil, dice into large chunks and add to boiling water on the stove top and boil for 5-6 minutes, until fork tender. Drain and throw away the water.
When the potato is soft but cooled, mash up 1/2 cup, omitting the skin. You can mash them by hand or add to a blender or a food processor. Pulse until you have a thick creamy mash. You can even toss some cinnamon, or a soft pitted date or two in with the sweet potato if you like it sweeter. You may require a little extra milk or Udo’s oil to get the blades to move.
Set aside or refrigerate the purée until ready to use.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups milk (we used vanilla unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree (about 1 small potato)
- 2 tbsp Udo’s Oil 3+6+9 blend
- 1 Simply Protein bar (crumbled over top)
- Optional: 2 dates, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine the rolled oats, milk, and Udo’s Oil. Divide everything between two small jars and then you can add the sweet potato puree and stir in, it doesn’t have to have an even consistency. Alternately, you can make this directly in the jar, and layer the oat and oil mixture in the jars, alternating with the puree for a nice look.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
- In the morning, when ready to eat, give it a stir, crumble half of a Simply Protein Baked Bar on top. We used the Peanut Butter Cookie flavour.
- Take it to go or enjoy immediately.
- Overnight oats can be prepared up to 5 days in advance.