velvet purchased today gets its colour from loads of unhealthy food colouring. Traditionally,
beetroot was used to create the lovely reddish-chocolate hue!
For these creamy-and-dreamy Red Velvet Truffles, I used Salus Red Beet Crystals. These crystals are a staple in my pantry and add amazing nutrients and antioxidants with only a mild sweet & earthy flavour.
Don’t let the avocado in here scare you off! Avocado and cacao are a match made in heaven. Even if you think you don’t like avocado, trust me and give this recipe a whirl!
*Note: If the mixture is too soft to roll into balls, try adding coconut flour, one tablespoon at a time, until a truffle-like consistency achieved.
Red Velvet Truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp Red Beet Crystals
- 2 Tbsp coconut manna, melted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- sugar-free confectioners’ or powdered monk fruit sweetener, or sweetener of choice, adjusted to taste
- 1-3 Tbsp coconut flour (optional/as needed for desired consistency)
- unsweetened desiccated coconut
- crushed nuts or seeds
- cacao powder
Optional Chocolate Coating
- 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Place avocado, cacao, Red Beet Crystals, coconut manna, vanilla extract, and sea salt in a food processor container.
- Blend until a uniformly silky-smooth texture is achieved, stopping to scrape the sides and bottom with a spatula as needed. Sweeten to taste.
- Put the truffle mixture in the fridge until firm, approximately 1 hour.*
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the truffle mixture and roll into balls.
- For the toppings option: Roll the formed balls in toppings in desired toppings.
- For the chocolate coating option: Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat in a small pot or double boiler. Drizzle or dip each truffle in the melted chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill until firm. Enjoy!
Dr. Tara’s passion is to inspire and empower others to experience the joy and richness of life. She embraces a holistic definition of health & wellness with a focus on lifestyle factors. For more info and delicious recipes, visit her website and find her on Instagram @DrTaraSunshine.