What a way to wake up or wind down. Much like starting your day with lemon water stimulates your liver, this simple scrub stimulates your skin’s detoxifying pathways.
Mānuka honey provides a powerful antibacterial compound called methylglyoxal. This compound correlates to the MGO number found on mānuka honey packaging. An MGO number of 250 or higher has more antibacterial properties.
Spirulina, usually associated as a superfood supplement tinting smoothies and glasses of water a dark blue-green, has similar detoxifying effects when used topically. Together, mānuka and spirulina make the perfect team to combat bacteria-causing acne, pH imbalances, and clogged pores. Furthermore, we’ve added sugar to the mixture, which when scrubbed into the skin, helps to open pores and irritate skin cells just enough to allow more of the powerful mixture inside.
- 1 tsp Flora Mānuka Honey (MGO 250+/10+ UMF)
- 1 tsp VieSun Spirulina
- 1 tsp granulated sugar (I used cane sugar)
- Simply stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined and apply to clean slightly wet skin. Scrub in circular motions for 1-2 minutes.
- Optional: leave on like a mask for up to 20 minutes.
- Wipe off with a warm, wet cloth and follow up with an oil or moisturizer.
This recipe can be made in excess and kept in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. Bonus if you use it chilled (it feels so good)!
For maximum benefit, use a mānuka honey with an MGO of 250 or more and a UMF of 10 or more.
Lindsey Young is a registered holistic nutritionist, advocate for intuitive eating, and functional food recipe creator. For the original hot cacao post and more delicious recipes, follow her on Instagram @eatyoungnutrition and visit EatYoungNutrition.com.