Part eccentric statement, part
delicious beverage. It’s 2019 and we are over
our fear of fat and dirt!
A dirty chai latte, says the former barista, is a chai latte with espresso. What’s a dirty fat chai? It’s even better, as it includes organic medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil sourced ethically from coconuts.
Dirty Fat Chai
Dairy-free, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free
Espresso can be substituted with ¼ cup drip coffee or ¼ cup black tea.
- 1 + 1/2 cups milk of choice (I used cashew)
- 1-2 pitted dates
- 2 generous tsp cinnamon
- 1 + 1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp anise
- 15 cracks black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Flora Organic MCT Oil
- 2 shots of espresso *
- Add all ingredients except MCT Oil and espresso to a blender, and blend on high until frothy and well combined. Transfer to a small saucepan over medium-low heat and whisk until the milky mixture warms up to drinking temperature. Set aside.
- Pour two espresso shots into two cups. Add 1 tbsp MCT oil to each cup. Pour milk mixture on top. Garnish with cinnamon and serve.
Lindsey Young is a registered holistic nutritionist, advocate for intuitive eating, and functional food recipe creator. For the original hot cacao post and more delicious recipes, follow her on Instagram @eatyoungnutrition and visit EatYoungNutrition.com.