“I think I need to detox” is a popular statement I hear at this time of the year. With all of the extra alcohol and delicious treats we may indulge in, we can start to feel the need to do some inner deep cleaning. Or at least I do.
I also find that full body detoxification is a little misunderstood. We tend to focus on our liver, but our body has many detoxification pathways and we need to support all of them. The main 3 pathways are the cells, liver/kidneys, and digestion.
Our body loves a full body detox!
Have you ever started a cleanse and felt tired, foggy, or like you’re getting a cold? Those are symptoms that are frequently referred to as a “healing crisis”. What this usually means is that your liver has released more toxins than your detox pathways can handle and your body is a bit overwhelmed.
The great news is you can do a full body detox without these annoying symptoms.
Full body detox – a how-to guide:
- Drink lots of water. All of our detox pathways need to be flushed, especially our cells and kidneys.
- Start your morning with a glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon. This is a simple but surprisingly effective way to support our body’s natural daily detox process. It supports the liver and digestive system.
- Eat lots of cruciferous veggies, like broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. This family of veggies contains lots of liver-friendly compounds like indole-3-carbinol. Enjoy 1 serving everyday.
- Exercise regularly to help your body move your lymph; the garbage disposal system in your body. It moves when you move.
- Sleep. Your body naturally detoxifies while you sleep, so try your best to get 7 – 9 hours of sleep every night.
Add beautiful detoxification herbs into your diet to give your detox process a little boost, like these ones found in Flor-Essence (US/CA):
Slippery elm – supports all detoxification pathways and is a potent gut healer.
Burdock root – a cleansing antioxidant that supports detoxification, proper digestive function, and even helps out the immune system!
Red clover – a beautiful antioxidant that supports healthy cells and supports the kidneys to flush out extra toxins.
Supporting a full body detox doesn’t need to be difficult or chock full of annoying symptoms. Therefore, just add a few detoxifying foods and herbs to your diet and your body will thank you!