Healthy, omega-rich cooking oils can be used for a whole lot more than making salad dressings and greasing pans.
In fact, cooking oils rich in healthy fats can be used for some of your favorite baking. Take EFA oils to the sweet side with everything from cakes to cookies and even muffins. Here’s to healthy fats getting the tasty love they (and you) deserve.
Try your hand at one of our favorite pastries with these Apple Sesame Spice Muffins with a crumbly sesame oat streusel topping for something sweet, spicy, and delightful.
Infused with EFA rich sesame oil, these muffins aren’t only laced with essential fatty acids that help maintain healthy cholesterol and good heart health, they happen to be straight-up addicting.
Make your sweet tooth just a little bit healthier with the sweeter side of Flora’s premium culinary oil line.
- 3 Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 2 apples, peels and diced
- 2 Tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3 Tbsp Flora Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 mashed bananas
- 200 mL organic milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 380° F and line muffin tin.
- Pour maple syrup into a small non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly adding apples and spices to maple syrup and cook for 3–4 minutes, or until slightly softened. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat together eggs, sesame oil, vanilla extract, and milk in a bowl.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and combine thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and raisins. Make a well in the middle and pour in the egg mixture. Stir in the apples and any liquid from the pan. Spoon into the muffin tin.
- To make streusel topping,mix together oats, sesame seeds, butter, cinnamon, sugar, and flour in a food processor (or with a fork) until crumbly.
- Sprinkle generously on top of each muffin, immediately before baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer pressed into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and eat warm.
Will keep for up to 3 days in airtight container.