Have you ever asked yourself; “how is my liver doing?” This can be a popular question at this time of the year, and it can be very important to your overall health.
Our liver does so much for our body, and it does it quietly without us even noticing…well, until it gets overwhelmed.
A big job for the liver is detoxification, and each of us has a unique ability to handle and detoxify toxins. Some of us can handle great loads of toxins before we feel symptoms, others can only handle a small amount. We’re all very unique.
An overwhelmed or sluggish liver can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms, including stubborn weight. When your liver is dealing with more toxins than it can handle, it stores some in your fat cells. Your body can’t release this fat until your liver can handle the release of your toxic load. This can be why people working with lots of chemicals (hair stylists, conventional farmers, factory workers) can have more weight struggles than others.
Other symptoms of a high toxic load are:
- Chemical Sensitivities – does the laundry aisle in your grocery store bother you? Does heavy perfumes or scents give you a headache?
- Constipation – a sluggish liver can be a cause of constipation…and constipation can cause the liver to be sluggish. Oh, the double-edge sword.
- Skin issues – our skin is our largest organ and our liver may use it to remove toxins if the normal pathways (digestion and kidneys) are struggling.
Many of you will be familiar with these symptoms because an overwhelmed liver is a common issue today.
But don’t despair! Your liver wants and likes support! Inner deep cleansing can be easy, gentle, AND effective:
- Lemon and water in the morning – a surprisingly effective liver supporter. It can stimulate the gallbladder and support the elimination of fat-soluble toxins.
- Cruciferous veggies (like broccoli, kale, and cauliflower) – provide the body with important nutrients like indole-3-carbinol for liver support.
- Flor-Essence (US/CA) – my favorite gentle liver supporter. An old Ojibwa formula, it supports all parts of our detoxification system, including the liver, digestion, and cellular support. Plus it’s really gentle.
It doesn’t take a lot of effort for a happy liver; just incorporate a few things and your liver will love you for it!