“Trick or Treat!” Who would ever think three cute words could cause a sugar and fat overload that are scarier than any ghost out there. (Cue creepy cackle!)
Pumpkin spice lattes and questionable costumes are everywhere, while Halloween candy is on sale at every turn. These are the monsters we’re up against in October. Those fun size candy bars averaging 8 grams of sugar a pop add up to not a fun size on the scale.
5 bloody tips to go from spooky to sassy!
1) Move that skeleton in the morning! It’s getting darker earlier and we all know…vampires come out at night. So set your alarm, bounce out of that coffin, and exercise! Beginning your day with movement sets you up to make healthier choices the rest of the day. Plus, nothing gets in the way of your workout, not even evening goblins!
2) Don’t leave your haunted house with a growling stomach! Leave those sounds to the gory decorations. Sink your fangs into lean protein, high fiber grains, veggies, and healthy fats. This alone will prevent you from reaching into the candy bin and reversing all the benefits of the morning’s spin class. Also, don’t skip meals to save up for candy later. You’ll end up binging and we all know candy corn is not worth it. Get in the spirit with Flora Pumpkin Seed Oil drizzled on your salad, quinoa, or veggies. Adorably bottled in dark brown glass bottles prevents deterioration from light, and it’s better for the environment. Boasting a high content of omega 6 and 9 fatty acids make this oil scary nutritious! Overall, it’s a booby trap of health!
3) Fill your Halloween candy jars like a witch, with potions for your health, of course. Yes I want you to get in the Halloween fun, but not to the point you’re howling with a sugar tummy ache. Flora Baobites Superfruit Snacks (US/CA) give you that sweet taste plus fiber, electrolytes, and antioxidants. Made from 100% pure organic baobab fruit powder and your daily requirement of vitamin C. Furthermore, they come in three flavors: Peach Mango, Pomegranate, and Blood Orange. They are so delicious you’ll think its Hocus Pocus.
4) Those zombies won’t be the only ones coming back from the dead if you toss back every fall drink available to you. Pumpkin Spice lattes are filled with white refined sugar, 50 hair-raising grams to be exact and loads of other junk. No one wants a date with the Grim Reaper, so hop on your broomstick and fly in the opposite direction quick! Instead fill your cauldron with Flora Rooibos Chai Tea (US/CA), Green Tea Chai (US/CA), or Double Ginger Tea (US/CA). All organic, stimulating, immune and metabolism boosting, and satisfying!
5) Do festive activities that naturally burn calories. Think apple picking, playing at a pumpkin patch, throw a pumpkin carving contest, roast the seeds, dress your pup in an adorable costume and walk him through town, or have a costume dance party!
Overall, don’t be frightened by October temptations. Next time you hear “Trick or Treat” you’ll be prepped with tricks to prevent binging on the treats.
Written by guest blogger, Jill Lawrence. http://jilllawrencehealth.com/