This flax pizza crust is dense and slightly nutty-tasting with no rising time and no mess—perfect for a busy weeknight. It’s gluten-free, low carb, high fiber, keto, and paleo.
If you like the yeasty bread smell and lightness of a traditional bread dough crust and would prefer to take the time, feel free to follow step one. If not, skip to step two!
Flax Pizza Crust (GF, Keto, Paleo)
- 3 cups Flora Flax Meal (CA) or Flora Organic Brown Flax (US), ground
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried herbs (pizza seasoning, Italian seasoning, or oregano and/or basil)
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tbsp of oil (Flora Sacha Inchi Oil, Flora Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or avocado oil)
- 4 large eggs, whisked lightly
- 3-6 tbsp raw sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or a mix
- Optional: Up to 3½ cup parmesan cheese
- Optional: 1 packet traditional dry yeast + 1 tbsp. honey
- Optional: Proof 1 packet of traditional dry yeast in lukewarm water and add 1 tsbp. honey. After 5 minutes, add yeast mixture to bowl with the eggs and oil. After the dough is blended together in step 4, give it time to rise in a warm, draft-free spot. Continue as normal.
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- In a medium bowl, blend flax meal, salt, garlic powder, baking powder, and herbs.
- Add water, oil, and eggs, and mix very well. Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add seeds (and cheese, if using) and stir.
- Press dough out to desired thickness on a large piece of oiled parchment paper. With oiled fingers, form a rim and shallow indentations in the crust to hold sauce.
- Place on a pizza pan and bake for 12 to 16 minutes until cooked.
- Remove, top as desired, and cook until done.
Dana Green Remedios, RHN, RNCP, is a Vancouver-based educator and coach. She is a regular contributor to the FloraHealthy blog and can answer your questions in English, French, and Spanish as a Product Information Specialist at Flora.