- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour, sifted, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1 cup almond flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1/3 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Flora Hydro-Therm Almond Oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. rose water
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped - additional for topping, if desired
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped - additional for topping, if desired
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. Salus Red Beet Crystals, no lumps
- Drizzle of water
- Dried rose buds
- Set racks in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, baking soda, spice, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well.
- In the deep bowl of a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream oil, and sugar.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then add egg whites and rose water; mix well.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together slowly to combine. Stir in nuts.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls or hearts, then place on sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Rotate sheets halfway through cooking.
- Cool cookies 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix icing sugar and water to get the right consistency
- Add a small amount of Red Beet Crystals until the desired color is achieved.
- Drizzle frosting over cooled cookies, sprinkle chopped nuts (if desired), and decorate with roses.
- Store in an airtight container until serving.
Dana Green Remedios, RHN, RNCP, NNCP, is a Vancouver-based educator and coach. She is a regular contributor to the FloraHealthy blog and can answer your questions in English, French, and Spanish as a Product Information Specialist at Flora.